The material guide gave me pause. I had never dealt with many of the suggested materials listed, and it was a long list for such a small project. I poked around online, but I’m never quite sure if I’m ordering the thing I mean to be and purchase minimums were prohibitively large. Like I said, this was a small project, small here being used to mean “physically little” and not “easy to sew” which it wasn’t, small sewing is often the most difficult sewing, and even 1 yard minimums were simply too much to invest in. I can never predict if I’m going to make 1 of a thing or 20 and it’s better to not assume I’m going to make 20 because goodness knows I don’t need a yard of fun fur sitting in my stash less one pair of booties soles and you know that’s exactly what would happen if I were to talk myself into buying such vast quantities of excess fabric right out of the gate.
Pattern: Menta Booties
Size: 6 Months
Fabric: Quilting cotton, fleece, rubber dots, faux fur, all from Jo-Ann
I’m actually just realizing that the materials guide suggests faux sherpa for the inside sole and that that’s a different material than the faux fur I used. Whoopsies. Let’s call these tres luxe.
I second-guessed every material I used. Now that I’ve made them I can you that it wouldn’t matter too much if the fleece were heavier or if I hadn’t been able to find rubber dots fabric or the insides weren’t a perfect color match. They’d still be cute and functional.
There’s a lot of room for improvement in the next pair. My sewing was imprecise. I think I’ll make some more for fun and practice. Maybe not 20, though.